Thursday, July 5, 2018

Ken Allan Dronsfield Starts Us Off--and Congratulations to the 2017/8 Nominees for Best of the Net!

Photograph by Kimberly Vardeman

I'd like to begin the next set of poems with Ken Allan Dronsfield's wonderful nature poems.  Tonight he recaptures all we love about fall whether it is in New Hampshire or Oklahoma or someplace else.

Leaf Peepin'

A Sunday in mid October,
from our home in New Hampshire,
off in the family station wagon,
riding the roads to go Leaf peepin'.
Canopies of blaze orange, crimson
and forest greens weave a woodland canvas.
Calming the spirit, putting a smile on your soul.
The masterpiece of those palettes of color have
followed me to this very day in Oklahoma.
I look outside my mid-west window viewing
yellows and browns of sadness gliding down.
Special memories of autumn as a youth,
whilst now entering the winter of my life.

Photograph by Peter Rintels

Rêves de soie (Silk Dreams)

In the breath of a cascading waterfall...
I hear the voices of child spirits reciting sonnets,
fallen leaves that silently land upon brown grass
weaving a colorful quilt in the wood and meadow.
Trout cruise the pools along babbling brooks in
search of small meals of worms, grubs or flies.
I watch them feed, as a lone red leaf floats by
gathering speed then disappears downstream.
Chickadees and Nuthatches flutter in the pines
as Blue Jay's squawk at me from higher branches.
Walking the path, I feel a sting below the ear,
the seasons last mosquito has found me out here.
In the breath of a cascading waterfall... je rêve.
Snow white sails billowing in the warm trade winds,
rolling seas of a turquoise blue, reflect silken clouds,
terns and gulls from the tropical islands hover above.
Flying fish leap and glide as dolphins follow behind.
In the breath of a cascading waterfall... je me réveille.
A thermos of hot tea sits next to me under the great
oak, sparse of leaves now, but splendid and regal.
I slowly sip my cup as a flock of geese fly over,
I smile, close my eyes and find myself by the lake.
In the breath of a cascading waterfall... 
it's now twilight time ... Je pars.


Morning of Fading Bones

Cold windswept beaches
feelings of an icy sentiment
forgive my hapless misdeeds
hide behind my raised brow.
Starlight of reflecting twinkles
diamond chips in cool sands;
set of waves roll shore bound
ocean spray refreshes the soul.
The white clouds billowing fully
while town people now waltzing
carols of colored lights erupting
a flagrant truth on lost holiday's.
The lonely seek pious isolation
free of separated generations.
I pray for today's young children
my dusty old bones fade away.


Au Revoir to Summer

Last nights dishes wait in the sink
hot water and soap to arrive soon
cat sits nervously pondering when
his dinner will finally fill the bowl.
Summer's sun has left for Florida
chain saws echo across the valley
pumpkin looks pitiful on the porch
wish I was more skilled at carving.
Standing in the back yard all alone
watching the leaves gliding down
like paper airplanes here and there
some helicopter spin to the ground.
A sense of sadness is now borne.
colder days are well on the way.
Au revoir to Summer, Bonjour Fall.
whilst I've only written a bit all day.
(First Published, Longshot Island)

Before posting the music, I would also like to congratulate the 2017/2018 nominees for Best of the Net!  This list is more or less in alphabetical order.

One happens to be Ken Allan Dronsfield for "With Charcoal Black."    I especially love Ken's nature poetry.

Next is Kim D. Bailey for the utterly beautiful "Woman at the Well."  

Bea Garth deservedly earned a nomination for "Janis."  

Once again these nominees include a rengay, namely Leslie McKay and Julie Naslund's "hieroglyphics."  

Perry Nicholas also represents the 1940s contest with "The Last Night We Heard Bob Dylan Play." 

Lisa Stice was nominated for her heartfelt "A Funeral for Our Own."

As always, it was difficult to choose the nominees.  Several of the honorable mentions nearly became nominees.  The honorable mentions were (in no particular order) Felino A. Soriano's "Conversational Whisper," Suriya's "A Yes Poem," Kamiliah Carlisle's north-facing poem, H. Holt's "Conor Clapton," and Daniel Snethen's haiku.  

And now the music!

There may not be any jazz songs about New Hampshire, but there is always Ella Fitzgerald's "Moonlight in Vermont," this time with Louis Armstrong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esynsha53A8

I'll also include her "These Foolish Things": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshV7ug8cdE

I don't think I've posted Oscar Peterson lately; here is his version of "Summertime," a standard that Janis Joplin also covered in her own fashion:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPlU9xYmWKI

His "Boogie Blues Etude" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdd5pn1xs7M will wrap up this entry.

Enjoy!  



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this nomination Marianne. I am honored to be featured with this group of poets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken has many styles, and I enioy his nature poetry very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deep thanks to Marianne Szlyk and the wonderful "The song is...". I'm honored and thrilled to be a nominee for the prestigious "Best of the Net".

    ReplyDelete