Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Welcome to Perry Nicholas



Let's return to the 1940s contest with Perry Nicholas' poems inspired by Bob Dylan, one of the more prominent musicians born in that decade.  The picture above is Dylan in concert in London.   Perry's poems, by the way, are in the wonderful anthology Resurrection of a Sunflower.  Have you bought your copy yet?



THE LAST NIGHT WE HEARD BOB DYLAN PLAY


I hurry home to our sanctuary,
finger a lock of your hair,
stare at the page-white ceiling
at shadows like shadows on a stage,
partial phrases still pinging in my head.

The naked truths are: we are comfortable here,
he should consider reciting his farewells.
You are my sad-eyed lady, and I resist
dislodging my arm from underneath your neck
to find a pencil, let it sing, never one
to risk line breaks in unnatural places.

We are natural here, a bluesy melody
under the radar of electric, garbled lyrics.
He and I need to say our complicated goodbyes.
You and I fit into each other, simply spoon. 



ALL THAT RIGHTEOUS POETRY

You can always come back, but you can’t come back all the way—Bob Dylan

No, I never realized I would be
surrounded by those who couldn’t see,

loving eyes that remain unopened,
never read a book in their lives.

I’ve been through two lifetimes now,
one leaving only scribbles on a page.

You asked me to write down my questions
since I was on my way out,

but I’m still here.
With all this righteous poetry.

 -------------------


Perry S. Nicholas is an English Professor at Erie Community College North in Buffalo, N.Y. He has published one textbook of poetry prompts, three full-length and five chapbooks of original poetry, and one CD of poetry. He has hosted four poetry venues in the WNY area. You can see his work at perrynicholas.com.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karl Berger is a vibraphonist, educator,  and pianist who is based in Woodstock and, with Ornette Coleman, founded the Creative Music Studio.  

Here is his "From Now On, Side A": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVKmSTaYBgY
 He has worked with Dave Holland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BawqDUzssvs,
and Pharoah Sanders among others.  

I can't find a video of Berger and Sanders together, but here is Sanders' "Astral Traveling": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4nAGtdkU88

Berger leads the Stone Workshop Orchestra in an excerpt from "Ornette" :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N33oIOUnskE 

1 comment:

  1. Poem is great, but the last time I saw Dylan in a small 800 seat venue he was terrible-hardly understand him and he insisted on playing all new songs no one has heard of-huge disappointment, no reflection on you or his influences in the 60's which I was a part of.

    ReplyDelete