Thursday, November 27, 2014

New Contest (Deadline March 15, 2015)

This is harder than I imagined, but I would like to start a new contest in memory of Michael Brown and in sorrow at the recent verdict.   I know that many are upset, and I believe that this contest is the right thing to do, especially if I want to continue to honor African-Americans such as Thelonious Monk, Ron Carter, and Robert Glasper.  Otherwise, these contests are very hollow.

I am looking for poetry that mourns, that bears witness, and that calls for change.  I am not looking for violent or gratuitous poetry.  I am not looking to attack the police who are protecting their community and acting appropriately. The Song Is.. may not be a family-friendly space, but I hope that it can be a multiracial space.

The deadline for the contest will be March 15.  

Thank you for your assistance in promoting this contest.

Here is some poetry from Gwendolyn Brooks to inspire you:


And here is some music for you:

Ambrose Akinmusire's "Oscar Grant":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt1ai0ZQ-IM


Finally, how different are these young men from Missouri?







Tonight the fall contests will continue with Joan McNerney's poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment