Friday, July 17, 2020

Tonight's Poems from Ahmad Al-khatat


Tonight's poems from Ahmad Al-khatat take a different turn.  I am sure that you will enjoy them.  It's always interesting to see a poet grow and develop.


Close the Book

Ahmad Al-Khatat

It’s the time to close
the book of negativity
Stop flipping over the
pages of wasted years
and stand in front of
-waves of confidence

It’s the time to close
the book of remorse
Start creating a place
for satisfaction above
-some dark thoughts
of attempting suicides

It’s the time to close
the book of long isolation
I want to feel like I am loved
to my country, back to my life
Smile again without wearing an
emotional smile that lasts forever




Be Stronger

Stronger than before
I’m here under rainfall
Getting stronger than
before, because of you

Stronger than feelings
I’m wiser, and faster than
the curious heart breaker
We’re stronger than love

You once made me happy
I melted my heart into steel
Just to always remember you
Harder, better than memories

Your friendship made me
-stronger than the old times
When I hear your voice alone
I become stronger than death

No more castles and empires
Together we are stronger than
greater, higher than old figures
You make the heart grow healthier

But the wind of your sweet scent
-were stronger than a drunk soul
Between us there is no intimacy
we strongly keep on shining respect



I Am Human

I am human
from all races
I am looking
for respect,
condition
-attitude
and good
behaviours

I am human
dancing with
no silky touch
but on my own
for no reason
sometimes, I
am trying to
live like a human

My name is
human being
My age is the
numbers of
days of the
dead fighter
My soul is
already taken

Another human
I once met her;
she is the reason
why the night is
sad, no matter
what I do aside
from writing a
poem or a song

Can someone
walk me home
I am blind to
trust strangers
I am a silent
human listening
to dreamers talking
to machine believers




Ahmad Al-Khatat was born in Baghdad, Iraq. His work has appeared in print and online journals globally, and his poems have been translated into several languages. He has been nominated for Best of the Net 2018. He is the author of The Bleeding Heart Poet, Love On The War’s Frontline, Gas Chamber, Wounds from Iraq, Roofs of Dreams, and The Grey Revolution. He lives in Montreal, Canada.

This time I'm going to post a few videos of Sonny Rollins from his album The Bridge.  Let's start with the title song:

"Without a Song" actually appears to be the first cut on the album:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Mluu7eGZ0&list=PL0q2VleZJVEljT52xpNPlT2zyXvMNrvSA&index=1

I'll finish with a very familiar song, "God Bless the Child":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzL2b4oaDhg&list=PL0q2VleZJVEljT52xpNPlT2zyXvMNrvSA&index=5



No comments:

Post a Comment