Saturday, August 3, 2019

Welcome to Busari Olawale Umar!


Tonight I'd like to welcome the young poet, Busari Olawale Umar, a university student from Nigeria's University of Lagos where he is studying philosophy.  I trust that you will be moved by his poems.

PENURY..

my throat thruttles at the nipples of my mother.
not long awhile i basked under a empheral shadow of childhood.
but soon satisfaction i found no more from breast-milk.
i had nothing.
a poor man is a dead man, a dead man is a poor man.
i died and knelt down to cry at my grave.
i was a walking dead.
i inherited nothing but the hunger of my fathers.
misery, hardship, suffering made love with my existence.
None of this i wished, even my existence.
To those who can see with there thought, all i longed for was to be nothing.
perhaps nothing was enough.
-Busari Olawale Umar
25/01/2019

Photograph by Usman Ahmad


Suicide.

I could taste the sound as i hear its voice.
It cold fangs eat my breath.
The crossroad of life.
my watch has ended.
It wouldn't come i brought it.
Now i found company in my loneliness.
I dine with my unfriendly guest.
Slowly as I drift to Oblivion.
So long!.
- BUSARI OLAWALE UMAR
14/06/2019

Photograph by kemorgan65


The tragedy

The end has come to the world bearing freewill as gift.
the unholy gift has reached the higher animals.
the lowers animals should too.
If the birds refuse to take for skies and choose to swim at sea.
If the fishes begin to bark.
when rats fearlessly walks in front of a cat for they choose to no longer squeak but roar.
the snakes choose to leave their safety in the forest to the market-place to crow.
should this cause fracas?.
a free-will world they say we liveth!.
but remember tragedy awaits.
-Busari Olawale Umar
7/11/2018

I'll finish up with a little music.

"Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box" is performed by Robert Glasper, Taylor McFerrin, and Derrick Hodge:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSw7TXt3DZE

Next is Idris Muhammad's "Peace of Mind":

I'll finish with a young-ish Lonnie Smith's "It's Changed":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lsZb93rY8E


1 comment:

  1. These are something else. The battle with life played out in an often breathtaking battle with language. Loved them.

    ReplyDelete