Sunday, July 21, 2019

Welcome to Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal!

Photograph by Gardner Soule (Public Domain)

Tonight Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal has poems for all seasons.  Given the sweltering weather, I'll start with his winter poem.   It will cheer up those of you who miss the cold.  For everyone else, it will remind you that summer weather is not the only bad weather we face.


In the Snow

In the snow
and blowing wind
you became intoxicated
by inhaling the snow and wind.

Your footsteps 
were easy to trace
in the white snow, abominable 
snowman, I knew those giant feet
from my years of following you.

I recognized 
your footsteps and
I had a feeling that you
were close by, you fell and
crawled with gentleness, I could
trace your every move in the snow.
I knew you meant no harm to me
or to the life of anybody else.

You hid yourself 
in the ice somewhere.
The snow sheltered you.
I grew wistful, pensive, and
filled with a peculiar happiness.

I watched your
footsteps, I could trace
your movements in the snow.

Photograph by Matthew Paul Argall

Harsh World: The Branch

I am the one you should
forget.
I am like the insignificant 
objects.
I am like a small branch
fallen from
the body of a tree.
This harsh world
is making a mess
of my body.
It finds its way inside.
It feels so cold
at times and
unexpectedly 
it finds another body
inside my body. It’s love 
I have isolated in there.
I feel less than whole
at times. The sun
draws near
and it does not
make a difference.
I reached my limit of
warmth. I feel a cold
presentiment
in my body
that cannot make it
through this harsh world.
It is so cold.
My heart complains
as it sleeps and dreams
of a different world.
I could go there,
shed my skin,
flex my muscles.
It is just a dream
of a desperate soul.
Like the body of a tree
and the fallen branch,
I am the branch.
For a moment
I am its essence,
compost in the yellow fields.

Photograph by Mehrab Pourfaraj


Summer, 1989

When I was brought down to earth 
summer was nearly gone,
autumn scratched at the surface,
and I had planted my heart
deep in soil that would not let love grow.

When we parted the sky was gray
and the leaves began to change colors.
Each day I slept late because she was
gone with the wind. It was not until 

then,
when I found my raw materials.
It so happens that the soil softened,

the heart hardened, and I found love
in the bird’s songs, the yellow leaves,
and the scattered clouds about to burst.

I stopped searching for reasons 
things did not work out just like I wanted.
That is just how things happen sometimes.



Always Dream

Open your eyes and dream.
It could be day, or it could be night.
To paraphrase what Jose Marti said, “always dream.”
Dream on my friends.
Dream far and wide.
Let the dreams roll like the waves at sea.
Dream past the dunes in the desert sand.
Joyously dream away.
A humble dream is all you need.
Swing for the fences with a mighty dream.
Dream with a kind heart.
Dream like the child you once were.
The dream is calling for you.



If I Was Not a Man

If I was not a man,
I might want to be a bird.
I would have a small head
and a beak instead of a nose.

I would fly and sing.
I would eat smaller portions.
I would sleep in a nest.
I would enjoy the scenery.

I would have no hands.
I think I like wings better.
I would be flying for miles 
all day and all of the night.

I would not read books.
I would read the leaves and trees.
I would pay no taxes.
I would not owe any bills.

I wouldn’t have to drive.
That would be all right with me.
I would fly transcontinental.
I would go without paying a dime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Born in Mexico, Luis lives in California and works in the mental health field in Los Angeles. His poetry books and chapbooks have been published by Alternating Current Press, Deadbeat Press, Kendra Steiner Editions, New Polish Beat, Poets Democracy, Pygmy Forest Press, and Ten Pages Press (e-book). His recent poems have appeared in Blue Collar Review, Misfit Magazine, and ZYX.

Let's start with the Funklovers' "Cloud of Memories":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2s-3lHuRKc

From here I'll move on to Roy Hargrove's "I Thought about You":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10IlOJKX0MQ

Surprisingly, I haven't posted anything by Nicholas Payton (that I recall), but here is his version of "Round Midnight":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znsgoKJRUtE

My husband has been playing a lot of Etienne Charles lately, so I'll finish with his version of Bob Marley's "Turn Your Lights Down Low":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yeu5UDL_mA

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment