Wednesday, July 10, 2019

More Poems from Alyssa Trivett



Photograph by Jean Beaufort

 Tonight I'd like to post a few more poems by Midwestern poet Alyssa Trivett.  I know that you've enjoyed the directness and simplicity of her poetry.


Snow Drift

I half-flutter like a bird 
with a broken wing,
caught in a spider web,
sinking in quicksand.
Any move or turn cauterizes the underbelly.
I swoop myself up,
and laugh victoriously,
video-game like.
Almost.



Cortisone Shots in Both Wrists

My hands shocked on the 
steering wheel
like a key to an electric kite
or a roller-skate shooting firework sparks on hotter than
HE-double-hockey-sticks pavement
still waiting for the wheels 
to Flintstone fall off
and knock over some bowling pins
and not be so useless
as my hands carpal-tunnel electrocuted from recent events.



1:36AM

Clocks talk back 
to one another.
My writing
is a cartoon character showing up
amidst normal conversation,
only to pie-slap words
into neighborhood fences.
Trains hopscotch at
off and unwanted hours.
My carpal-tunnel arms
quake, a broken rollercoaster
before the seventy five foot
comma drop begins.
Clocks now sing.
I described it to one of my best friends as a blessing 
and a curse.


Rather 

Would rather be hit 
by ceiling fan blades
by the neighborhood kids or skate on the thinnest ice
with unsharpened old kitchen knives
at the bottom of the skates
or skydive with no shoes on
or register weekly 
for health benefits
for the rest of my life
or smash my mailbox
or volunteer to paint the walls of 
my elementary school gym
by myself on a time limit 
or eat chocolate 
covered ants
for fifteen days
than to ever 
deal with that again.




Bio:
Alyssa Trivett is a wandering soul from the Midwest. When not working two jobs, she chirps down coffee while scrawling lines on the back of gas station receipts. Her work has recently appeared at The Rye Whiskey Review and Beakful.

A while back, I started listening to Dr. Lonnie Smith's tribute album to Beck.  (I'd love to know how he came up with the idea.). Here is his version of "Where It's At":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wib18QjR63o

I have to include "Devil's Haircut":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U59bQhwbl_Q

Dr. Lonnie has also covered Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wK3ydpDmg

Here is an earlier song by Dr. Lonnie:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lsZb93rY8E

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment