Sunday, January 13, 2019

Welcome to Mary Bone!


Tonight I'd like to welcome Mary Bone, one of the many poets who graced Whispers, Karen O'Leary's poetry site that is now inactive.  Mary is also an artist, so the pictures are hers as well.  I especially like the cardinal below.


Good Neighbors

When my phone rang
It was my neighbor
Wanting to borrow some eggs.
I could smell bacon frying.
She was going to make an omelet.
I had lost my shoes and
I stumbled next door
With the eggs.
Nothing was wasted on our block
We shared the delicious breakfast she cooked.



When Time Stood Still

Time stood still
When my phone couldn’t be located.
I had to borrow some change from a stranger
To make a call from a pay phone,
Since mine was lost.
Nothing can replace the feeling of
Losing my pictures and personal messages.



Into the Void

I was cast into the void
After falling from a boat on the river.
I lost everything in my pocket,
Including my phone.
After I was rescued, a lady on the river bank
Let me borrow her phone
Since I had nothing of my own.
There are times when I feel like I am 
still free falling.

Mary Bone's poems have recently been published at Whispers in the Wind, Literary Yard, Our Poetry Archives, and other publications. She has been writing since the age of twelve and has had two books of poetry published. She enjoys drawing and painting in her spare time.

 I'll finish up with a few songs.  First is the Jazz Ambassadors'  version of  "Moon River": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1nUTwngvg  The Jazz Ambassadors are part of the US Army Field Band.
The next is Dusty Springfield's "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuPOwe-2EYA
I'll finish with a piece performed by jazz guitarist Emily Remler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btc3sEHINBM&list=PLIvQtZmuyaE2o_YklvRk_vkaVuWB4DBvf

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Mary,

    Congratulations on having your poems and artwork grace the pages of The song is... I have to agree with Marianne about the cardinal being my favorite picture. Your heartfelt poetry was wonderful to read today. Wishing you the best in your writing journey.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, for your kind comments. Cardinals are my favorite birds. Blessings! Mary

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome Mary. It's nice to celebrate the successes of others. Wishing you continued joy in your writing journey.

      Blessings,
      Karen

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Karen. I appreciate your kind words. Cardinals are one of my favorite birds. Blessings to you! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS COLUMBUS FOR FINDING THE WEST


    The Gods were with Christopher Columbus
    But do we praise him to wipe out the Arawaks
    Forcing Indians into slavery from San Salvador
    Failing that, brought blacks to the west as slaves
    What manner of god enslave a people
    I should thank his God for bringing Indians from India
    Calling them indentured servants like real black slaves
    Left us with dangerous diseases lying in watery graves
    With the blacks still hating the whites and all of them
    And vice versa happening with the two party system
    Some want the land of others or else annihilation
    Most governments are darn rifled with corruption
    Yes we’re civilized but still there’s poverty
    As we’re stifled with their colonial mentality
    We’ve gone to the moon spending millions of worth
    But have no cure for cancer here on good ol’ earth
    Our stars technology still have some useless boatswain
    Yet we excelled with cars, planes, trains and medicine
    And Chris what about your god sent good ol’ tobacco
    You have annihilated most of mankind need I say mo’
    More homeless, more refugees and stark starvation
    Christopher Columbus is this the price of civilization?

    ReplyDelete