Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Gabriel Eziorobo Rings in the New Year!


Tonight Gabriel Eziorobo returns with the first poems of 2018!

I am not perfect

You say
I am a young boy
I know nothing about love
you even came to visit my family
to carry out an investigation
you made me look like a fool
to everyone that sits beside me.

You say
a lot of things I could remember
give me a minute to think
the line I love so much
about the Bollywood movie.

You say
I am not perfect
I am too young to be in love
you even called me a writer indeed
but you read a lot of books by Shakespeare
the king of writing
that you have found a good man
too good to be perfect for you
maybe you can say this again and again
for my art to be accomplished on earth.



It is finished

They say it is finished
they say they will do us well
more than the colonial masters of the past
that we don't need to worry about anything
but learn how to be slaves.

They say it is finished
they made us believe
the things for the deaf people
they say we don't need to worry about anything
but learn how to be deaf.

They say it is finished
they put us here,in this paradise
which prison is better off
they say we don't need to worry about anything
but learn how to be prisoners
hoping to be free someday.

My hand


They say it is forbidden
they say no one should use it
they say no good thing comes
from the left hand.

Maybe I have to call that man
who lives in a house he did not build
yet still complaining
who is that man,that says it is forbidden
tell him,I am at the place of truth resting.

Maybe I have to call that man of condemnation
who lives in a house of illusion
he builds overnight
who is that man, that says it is disrespectful?
where was he when the world was created?


    Counting

Counting the pieces will not be enough to do alone
telling us to keep silent will not be enough to do
because we are not meant to be deaf and dumb
telling us lies will not do us good but cause us harm
telling us to read every 24hours in order to pass exam will not be
good enough to do
the brain will be getting bigger and weaker and the age will be coming
closer to the time
mum and dad won't stop telling us
about Nkechi who gained admission
to study medicine in Delta State University
are you not ashamed of yourself?

Is Nkechi not your age mate?
we don't want to riot,we just need admission.


Gabriel's Bio: I am a writer and poet from Nigeria. I love writing poetry
because I can express myself better than when speaking.


I'm not sure if I've posted any of Roy Brooks' music, but I thought I'd do so tonight.  Moreover, I found some albums beyond The Free Slave.

Let's start with "The Free Slave": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ay4rmkE1s

The Telmo Fernandez Organ Trio covered this song as well.  It looks like I was the first view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae8b39US0aY

Roy Brooks returns with "The Last Prophet":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyxH-OcNDwY

I'll finish with his "Will Pan's Walk":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCLSeZIv-tY

No comments:

Post a Comment