Sunday, October 16, 2016

Welcome to Nicole Surginer and Carl Scharwath

copyright -- Carl Scharwath

One of the most rewarding things about "curating" this blog-zine is bringing poetry together with visual images and/or music.  Tonight I would like to post the collaboration of poet Nicole Surginer and photographer Carl Scharwath (who is a poet as well).  Carl's photograph above is paired with Nicole's poem "Bound" below.

Bound

Endlessly I roamed lands 
foreign to my tattered feet
to flee the resonance of you
Plaguing the song of my sky
Yet the maps of stars led
me relentlessly back to this
place where now only shells
of home lie in desolate grey
I am drawn to linger evermore 
Where the story of our love
gleams from effulgent cloud
Memories warming light seeps
through the branches of trees 
rooted of our immortal adoration 
The featherings of your energy
invade my wavelengths feeding my
starving soul as I breathe the taste
of your heat into my every cell
Though I had vanquished all thought
of you urgently away into the 
crevices of my heart to silence the
lure of longings echoing call
Still I heard the weeping of desire
Leeching through my vessels 
For I am bound to you as the soil to
this very earth and that which is

sealed of soul shall not be severed 

Copyright -- Carl Scharwath
Model -- Jennifer Fernald

Abandoned


I run my hands across the stone
that I may feel the essence of you
pulsing warmth through my veins
My ears burn with the longing
for your voice yet I hear my
truths in the absence of words.
They lie amongst the remnants of
my brokenness on faltering ground
The portrait of us painted in the
ink of empty promise shattered
and cast into desecrated earth
In this place that is grey and barren
the dampness of cold strains my breath
The ravishings of loneliness clutch my
pallid face within her crushing fingers
I strain to see beyond the fragmented
shadow of you clinging to the remnants
of brick that once bonded our love
Where I once dreamed and lived in you
I stood breathless as my foundation
crumbled and I was laid bare and alone
Cast away as rubble to smolder in ash
as my heart crumpled within my chest

Nicole Surginer, is a poet from the small town of Bastrop,Texas. She is inspired to write by her love for nature's enchantment, a fascination with the power of raw, intense emotion and a desire to create beauty with words. She has been published in Tuck Magazine, Anti-Heroin Chic, Indiana Voice Journal, Tuck Magazine, In Between Hangovers, Your One Phone Call, Sick Lit Magazine with pending publications in the Contemporary Poet's group anthology "Dandelion in a vase of roses."

Carl Scharwath, has appeared globally with 80+ magazines selecting his poetry, short stories, essays or art photography. He won the National Poetry Contest award for Writers One Flight Up. His first poetry book is 'Journey To Become Forgotten' (Kind of a Hurricane Press). Carl is a dedicated runner ("that's where his art ideas spring from.”)

I'm looking for some collaborations.  Of course, all music (except for solo performances) is a collaboration.  I'll start by returning to Ran Blake and Jeanne Lee.  This time I'm posting their version of "Ticket to Ride":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEIodQs30KE  "Ticket to Ride" is, of course, a song by Lennon and McCartney.

Later she sang with Mal Waldron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xERkQzxEZPc

"Quiet Temple" is listed as a collaboration between Mal Waldron and Barney Wilen:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSFCi4SGxl8

Here is Jeanne Lee and Mal Waldron's version of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat," a collaboration between Charles Mingus and Joni Mitchell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIzI5uODgGg

Jeanne Lee and Ran Blake are jazz musicians born in the 1930s, by the way.

2 comments:

  1. Nicole Surginer is up and coming poetic star in my Facebook Poetry Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/807679459328998/ She will so be published with 4 poems in Dandelion In A Vase Of Roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very intense deeply felt poems. Yes, well coupled with the photographs. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete