Friday, May 1, 2015

Riding Spring's Wings ... and other poems by Karen O'Leary




This evening I'd like to post Karen O'Leary's poems, the first of which brings us back to spring.  I met Karen through her journal Whispers, and I'm glad that she has decided to send me some poems for The Song Is...

Ancient Beauty
meadow
of buttercups…
timeless sanctuary
for capturing and inspiring
artists



Riding Spring’s Wings

A breath of fragrant
lilacs and a robin’s song
awaken my senses.
I reach out a hand
to explore the velvet
of a red tulip petal.


…a butterfly transports
me back in time…


I taste the pleasure
of childhood’s magic,
consuming spring
without an agenda.


Published--Poems of the World--2013



Magic Dances On

Words whisper
in the misty
forest of ideas.


Future poems flit
like butterflies,
often tumbling
without reason.


These wildflowers
are gladly gathered
by the artist
to map a trail.


Starlight brightens
the journey.


In a serene den
by the fireplace,
her pen flows freely.


An increasing resume
gives the poet courage
to share her song.


Published--The Oak--2013

Karen O’Leary is a writer and editor from West Fargo, ND. She has published poetry, short stories, and articles in a variety of venues including, Frogpond, A Hundred Gourds, Haiku Pix, Sharpening the Green Pencil 2014, Now This: Contemporary Poems of Beginnings, Renewals and Firsts, Creative Inspirations, and Poems of the World. She currently edits an online poetry journal called Whispers,http://whispersinthewind333.blogspot.com/

You may also be interested in reading Karen's response to the recent tragedy in Nepal: http://whispersinthewind333.blogspot.com/2015/04/for-nepal-faith-lives-on-by-karen.html

And here are some spring songs for you.  

Herbie Hancock's "Butterfly" is a very lovely song.   He looks so young in this video!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v6o2Biv_KI

Ahmad Jamal's "Spring is Here" is beautiful as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2p8PmkBoN4

I think that Herbie Mann's jazz flute would work well here, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djS3DQhoD7c

I am trying to find women in jazz and/or swing music to inspire you for the new contest!

Of course, there is Blossom Dearie's "It Might As Well Be Spring":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efj_BYAd_dI

Benny Goodman and his Orchestra perform "Swing into Spring."  I knew that that title seemed familiar:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEFzT09ZM-Q

Enjoy!





18 comments:

  1. Dear Marianne,

    I am delighted with this wonderful way you displayed by poems. Wow! You are really talented with page design. Thank you so much for this gift today. What a day brightener for me. Wishing your ongoing success with The Song is...

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. These poems are not only beautiful but inspiring Karen. What a lovely gift Marianne has given you by featuring your outstanding poems and us with her beautiful site. Congratulations and Blessings, Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Connie,

      Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, it is a gift to be published at this beautiful site. I really appreciate all the encouragement you give me, my friend.

      Blessings,
      Karen

      Delete
  3. Way to go Karen..Very emotive and expressive work..Enjoyed reading today..Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sara. Glad you enjoyed these poems. I appreciate your encouragement.

      Blessings,
      Karen

      Delete
  4. Two wonderful poets and two wonderful websites. What else can I say on this magical spring day but THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan, for all the support and encouragement.

      Best wishes,
      Karen

      Delete
  5. I would like to submit this poem for consideration:
    "Creating"
    In a cozy café
    of soft repose
    I write a harmony
    of original and
    aesthetic masterpieces
    in rhythm with the rain.
    David Fox
    foxdavid821@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear David,

      Hope Marianne can use your poem for publication.

      Best wishes,
      Karen

      Delete
  6. Such a generous presentation here... Karen is a joy to read, and a wonderful person, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a generous presentation here... Karen is a joy to read, and a wonderful person, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Michael,

      What a blessing you are in the writing community! You are always encouraging others in an uplifting way. Thank you for your kind words, my friend.

      Blessings,
      Karen

      Delete
  8. Deeply written in thought and wonderfully inspirational are these pieces, Karen. Thank you so much for sharing your gifts and talents, for you are a very gifted writer. Continued blessings! -MJ

    Nice site, Marianne. Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maurice,

      Thank you so much for your lovely words today. What a gift to see today! I appreciate all the encouragement you give me and others.

      Blessings,
      Karen

      Delete
  9. Thank you for all these wonderful comments, everyone. I am so happy to welcome you to my site. Hope to be able to feature your work here at some point.

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marianne,

      You have such a beautiful site. Thank you so much for publishing my poetry. Best wishes with The Song is... I hope you are having a good weekend.

      Blessings,
      Karen

      Delete
  10. Dear Marianne what a lovely site you have and thank you for allowing a very special lady to share her wonderful talent. I felt like a butterfly flitting from blossom to blossom as I sucked in the sweet nectar of her deeply expressive words. Karen my dear friend you make me appreciate spring more than I already have. Thank you for sharing your poems here, making it possible for me to read more of you and feel of your beautiful spirit.
    Love Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Charlene,

    What a gift to read your words today, my friend. It is a joy to have my poems published at Marianne's beautiful site. You are always there to encourage me wherever my journey leads. Thank you so much.

    Love and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete