Friday, July 5, 2019

Mike Bayles in Chicago





Summer is a fine time to be out and about with friends and lovers, listening to music.  So let's go out to Chicago's Old Navy Pier with Mike Bayles.


Chicagofest at Old Navy Pier


Lake Michigan’s waters lap at her shoulders,
and the waters hold onto the sun’s lingering
reflections of summer.
Seven dollars apiece,
and my lady friend from the suburbs and I
can see musical acts of different styles
performed on seven different stages.
Just steps away from the glittering skyline
Navy Pier wants to offer the magic of Chicago
as we walk through its gates.
Melodies and chords come together
as we walk inside the pier,
trading small talk to get to know each other.
We pass food vendor stands offering an international
flavor while we share our worlds,
and we pause to savor the taste of gyros.
We sit together in front of Main Stage,
and taking in a gentle breeze from the lake,
we watch Boz Scaggs perform.
The spell is cast, and we sway
to the music as it rocks
late afternoon into dusk.
As the band plays I swat lake flies
descending from the sky.
My date and I swat insects,
and I look around to see others,
a wave of humanity doing the same,
keeping rhythm to the beat
of songs played.

Bio
Mike Bayles, a lifelong Midwest resident, writes about human connections to different settings, nature, and with each other. He is the author of Breakfast at the Good Hope Home, 918 Studio Press. This mixed-genre' piece tells the story of a son  visiting his Alzheimer's father in the nursing home, and about the loss of the life he's known. He is also the author of three books of poetry: The Harbor I Seek, The Rabbit House, and Threshold. 




Let's start with a live version of Boz Scaggs' "Lido Shuffle":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pefnn2Ccp-8

I'll include a live version of his "Lowdown," too:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C6Azq3ecrA

This is a cover of "Harbor Lights," another of Boz Scaggs' tunes:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrBIHzRZx4I

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Mike. I really like the energy in this poem. Would like to take in the old Navy Pier myself, all those sights, sounds, feelings they conjure. Thanks Mike and Marianne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your supportive comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem.

    ReplyDelete