Friday, May 24, 2019

Whispers Poets on the Theme of Song




Dear The song is…readers,

It is a privilege to share poems from six of Whispers’ talented writers.  With the topic of song, requested by Editor/Publisher Marianne Szlyk, writers from six different countries responded.  The eclectic mix of poetry is a joy to share with you.

Music wells from deep within us…the song of our hearts nestled in soft melodies or maybe at times a clash of cymbals.  It walks on with our lives, a part of our souls.

After 5 ½ years of publishing, Whispers closed for submissions in June. I invite people to share in the treasures I feel blessed to have published. I would be happy to facilitate any requests to such as this one.

Sincerely,

Karen O’Leary
Whispers’ Editor
karenoleary1956@gmail.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



that song 
By Peggy Dugan French, United States

the one that lingers deep into the night
brings a smile of remembrance
or a tear of regret
soothes a broken heart
calms a ragged soul
simmers in the midnight hour
leisurely entertains on Sunday mornings
gently lulls a child to sleep
introduces the kids to the classics
blares from a teenager’s room
fills the house with holiday traditions
keeps us company on the road
gracefully fills a wedding aisle
and hovers over a final resting place with honor
of the many songs that fill our past
nothing compares to the song that is us

Peggy Dugan French lives in Cardiff, California and publishes the small print zine, Shemom.



Tunes of hope
By Inge Wesdijk, The Netherlands

A dissonant chord
starts to tear down
the harmonious melody
between my body and spirit
Causing anger and distrust
leaving shattered dreams behind

The sweet tinkling
of colorful wind chimes
interweaving tunes of hope
and encouragement
into my life's composition
Restoring my newfound faith

Inge Wesdijk hailed from The Netherlands, a talented writer who was Whispers’ Poetry Editor.



Dreamy Lady*
By Jack Horne, England

He sang, 'Oh, dreamy lady' to
the woman of his dreams; and I
was meeting you that day and felt
you were the one...contented sigh...

I hear that song and think of you; 
I clear my throat and wipe my eyes,
recalling better times when I
was innocent to all your lies.

Our love was doomed - I see that now;
I wasn't in your future plan;
the song still moves me, yet I know
you're gone and have another man.

*Inspired by Marc Bolan's song

Jack Horne lives in Plymouth, England, and enjoys writing poems and short stories.



Lost Love
By Gert Knop, Germany

And when I stood there,
thoughtful caught in memories
remembering
those unforgotten tunes,
and never-ending dreams.

And see us yet,
still walking hand in hand
and listen to the bird songs,
what a lovely dream,
I wished would never end.

But what remained of our love?
Only those songs and melodies?
An empty heart,
yet with desire,
A piece of driftwood like,
and long extinguished fire.

Gert W. Knop, born in 1943 lives in Zittau, Germany.



A Cicada Song
By Paul Callus, Malta

I sit underneath an old gnarled tree
watching sunlight filtering through
clustered leaves, relishing the smell
of ripe carobs ready for picking.
Ignoring lethargy, a cicada erupts into song –
a few stuttering attempts followed by a
prolonged bout of monotonous intensity.
I fill a tin mug with cool well water from
the pail beside me. Savouring its freshness
I close my eyes and travel back in time
to when the field buzzed with activity –
grandfather, uncles, parents and children
defying the hot summer temperature,
clambering branches, lashing with rods,
heaping brown carob pods on the ground
before transferring them into sacks, ready
to be loaded on the horse-drawn cart.
Nothing much has changed, except that
now I am not a child anymore, but a
frail old man who sits alone reminiscing...  

Paul Callus has been writing prose and poetry for over 50 years, his preferred mediums being Maltese and English.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Song Is ....... Spring (with Maria Callas)
By Isha Wagner

The dead mouse has lain
a long time on the backyard stair
Why it chose to die there
Why I chose to leave it be

Now spring is changing the scene

As Maria's voice shatters the warm air
Lemons and oranges have flourished
White camellias have blossomed

And I think it's time now to sweep
up the mouse with the dead leaves
and depart from the cold season

As Maria sings.

Isha Wagner lives in the Wairarapa, New Zealand, and likes putting words on paper to form ideas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's start with Maria Callas' aria from La Traviata:

Recently my husband and I went to hear some local jazz musicians at the Strathmore.  Among them was the violinist David Schulman.  Here he plays "Agua Madruga" with his band Quiet Life Motel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzzZwC9zdsU

I'm not sure who sings on this song "Home," but David Schulman plays the violin here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkk_dsfbuiE

OK, I saw that Tillery is the vocalist.

This is Marc Bolan's "Dreamy Lady":

Enjoy!



10 comments:

  1. Dear Marianne,

    Thank you for the amazing way you shared our work. I know it had to take hours for you to put it all together. I feel honored to share these poems with writers from six countries. I can't thank you enough for this opportunity.

    Wishing you continued success with your beautiful site. May you enjoy all your writing endeavors.

    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear Marianne, for publishing my poem and those of my fellow poets from Whispers. You have done a great job, especially with the presentation. Regards & blessings ~ paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Isha for the following--

    "The Song is....." can create a minefield of differing ideas and each poem published shows well the variances in thinking. Human beings so similar and yet so varied dependent upon the sequence of events within their lives, as is obvious.

    For myself I was so pleased that Maria Callas was shown in excerpts from her singing career. I always think of the supreme moments Maria would have felt in contradiction to the tragedies and I feel very few people would have experienced such feelings of triumph as Maria's. I could well be wrong.

    This publishing that Marianne did all comes about through your endeavours, Karen which, in turn, reflects back to your own publication of "Whispers".

    To reiterate, my thanks to Marianne and I am certain the other poets feel exactly the same.

    With good wishes and love
    Isha Wagner
    New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment from Gert Knop--

    Please forward my thanks to Marianne for her lovely page.
    Loved it!

    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, everyone, for sending Karen and me your work and for commenting on these poems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marianne,

    We are all in agreement that you did a great job with this column. Thank you so much.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peggy French asked me to post this comment:

    Dear Marianne,

    Thank you for this post and including my work in it, it is a pleasure to appear on your pages. I love the pictures and music you include with your posts and have enjoyed following along with the artists that you share. Thanks again and wishing you continued success in all you do. Best, Peggy French

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Marianne,

    I agree with Peggy about the great job you did with this column. What a joy to share in this with my talented friends.

    Best wishes,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to add Jack Horne's comment:

    Thanks to Marianne & to Karen for making this piece possible. Well done to everyone for a beautiful selection of poems

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jack,

    Thank you for your kind thoughts and for sharing your poem as our England representative with your rhymed verse, which fits the message that you are conveying. Wishing you the best always, my friend. Best wishes and gratitude to Marianne too.

    Blessings to both of you,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete