Friday, March 27, 2015

More from Miss Kiane....


Youngsters Cool Off With Fire Hydrant Water On Chicago's South Side In The Woodlawn Community, 06/1973. John H. White for Project DOCUMERICA. US National Archives.
via "Joys of the Public Domain," Copyright Librarian, 25 July 2014.


In the little bit of time I have tonight, I would like to post two more pieces by DC poet and performer Miss Kiane.  The next piece is older and more light-hearted.

For No Reason At All

I rode my bike down a quiet street reducing my speed to observe the décor and take in the ambiance.  The houses were still like sleeping corpses but they were much alive. Alive with aged class and modest pride. For no reason at all, I rode my bike down this quiet street recalling the memories of birthday parties, graduations, births, career moves, deaths….recalling the memories of survivors, storytellers, love givers….For no reason at all, I rode my bike down a quiet street making their story my story even if for a brief moment.

I overheard a little girl with cornrolls in her head and bubble gum in her mouth tell her big brother how lucky he was because she was born.  I listened intrusively while she presented her case with sassy conviction. “If I wasn’t born, we wouldn’t be having a party!” she said.  I eavesdropped with a smile and within myself I sided with her.  For no real reason at, I sided with her.  Aren’t we all lucky that she was born?

I sat in the corner of a lively park away from it yet in it.  Like a punished child sitting in time-out.  But I wasn’t being punished.  In fact, quite the contrary. I sat in the corner for no reason at all enjoying the breeze on my sticky skin…the sun peeking at me through the arms of protective trees.  For no reason at all, I sat in the corner of a lively park.

I listened to the fountain water falling…almost rhythmically, soothing, lulling.  It seemed to command a calm from every surrounding thing from feather plucking ducks to red-tie businessmen.    For no reason at all, I listened to the water fall with pen pressed to paper and I recounted the events of my day….the bike ride, the little girl, the lively park and now the fountain….

I smile…one side of my mouth turned upward minimizing the size of my left eye as my cheek skin pushes up into it.  Trying to hold at least half of my composure, I bow my head in a bashful concession.  I smile for no reason at all. 

-Dinahsta “Miss Kiane” Thomas

© 2005

Her second poem is a tribute to the beloved writer Maya Angelou.




Tribute to Maya

You are the epitome of everything I ever wanted to be
So many things I ever wanted to be
Like a collector of rainbows, a spot of sun shared between foes
an open field where wisdom grows.

You are the epitome of everything I ever wanted to be
So many things I ever wanted to be
Like a modern day Moses making demands and moving the masses…
A post-historic Harriet harnessing hope and holding freedom passes.

You are the epitome of everything I ever wanted to be
So many things I ever wanted to be
Like a singer whose voice moves like sound waves with pinnacles and valleys
Weaving the world together from soul to soul through riffs, scats and harmonies.

You are the epitome of everything I ever wanted to be
So many things I ever wanted to be
Like a poet whose words transcend inequitable woes
transforming lives and opening eyes
yet dives deep into man’s dark and guarded soul

You are the epitome of everything I ever wanted to be
So many things I ever wanted to be
Things I didn’t even think I could be.
Until one day, I could’ve sworn I heard you say to me,
“Chile, don’t you know? Bein’ is free!
Don’t cost nothin’ to graffiti the world with your smile
Ain’t no hidden fees just to sit here and chat for a while
There’s no mark up on generosity
No such thing as retail value for authenticity
Open your heart and let the world feel your sun
After all everyone has to give an account for what they’ve done
Being the epitome of me….well that was my job
So, chile, be who God made you be
Cause bein’ is free!”

@2014
Written by Dinahsta “Miss Kiane” Thomas in honor of the late Dr. Maya Angelou, my poetic hero and mentor

I'll finish with something a little different, a link to some of Dr. Angelou's performances, starting with "And Still I Rise":


Here is her "Phenomenal Woman": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egrQH2UTaWE

To close this entry, I am posting two pieces by Regina Carter.  The first is her version of "Mood Indigo," and the second is "Carnival."



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment